08 January 2009

Marchini


Whenever I arrive in Venice, it’s “First things first.”

I head straight for Marchini and stock up on the top quality chocolates and other treats I will need for my stay. I cannot be expected to plan my routes and activities without these important luxuries.

Usually I choose a couple bags of their super-fresh biscotti and frolle (cookies) with their… ercolorful names. Try the Brutti ma Buoni (“ugly but good”), the Lingue di Suocera (“mother-in-law tongues”), the Baci di Dama (“lady’s kisses”), and Ossi Morti (“dead bones”).

Then I pick up at least one special bar of cioccolata extra fondente (deluxe deep, dark chocolate) and some of their real fruit-based gelatine – think “Chuckles” for very spoiled grown-ups.

While I hang around and watch the video of the maestro di cioccolata in his laboratorio in back, I snick-snack on a teeny, transparent candied clementine with chocolate glaze, a classic ricotta tart, or a mini Sachertorte. If it’s wintertime, I might even have a cup of the cioccolata calda that’s bubbling up from a fountain in the front window.

As I’m leaving the shop, I always take a quick mental inventory of the many sweet Venetian specialties that make perfect gifts and travel beautifully. Pan del Doge (a dense fruit and nut confection) and Crema dei Pistacchi (pureed, sweetened pistachio cream - odd, but surprisingly easy to use up!) have been particularly big hits with my crowd. And you never know when you might need some exceptional tidbit for the host of a dinner party or a particularly helpful concierge.

Pasticceria Marchini
San Marco 676, Spadaria
041-522-9109
www.golosessi.com