01 January 2009

Little Miss Know-it-all


Allow me to introduce myself: I'm Little Miss Know-it-all. Brimming over with useful information, highly enthusiastic and shamelessly opinionated.

Not about everything. Just about Venice, and how to fully enjoy it, whether for the first visit or the fiftieth.

This is a very small place with but one industry - tourism. Yet, amid that industry's relentless clutter and noise, it's very easy to waste a lot of time wandering and wondering, to overpay for mediocre or bad meals, to purchase inauthentic and shoddy merchandise, and, in general, to miss the essence of this unique and lovely place. I am always sad to learn that someone has had a so-so time (or worse!) in Venice. I always wish he or she had come to me upon arrival.

I spend a lot of time seeking out La Serenissima's superlative spots and experiences. I'm forever offering visitors (and even some longtime residents) my suggestions for where to go and what to do and - especially! - how to eat here. Afterwards, a surprising number of them take the time to tell me how pleased they were to have this insider info, how much it enhanced their time here. So...

Beginning today, for fun and for free, I give you the very best of Venice. And by that I mean my favorite places, my favorite things to do and buy and eat. You will be, I'm afraid, stuck with my personal biases. But after all, it is my "Venezia, show me" blog.

Are you ready?